Parent Corner | February 25th, 2018
After Jesus’ crucifixion and resurrection, Jesus showed His followers that He is alive. He taught them about Himself and about God’s kingdom. (Luke 24:25-27,44-48) Jesus told them that He would soon return to the Father. (John 20:17).
Jesus directed the Eleven to go a mountain. When they arrived, Jesus appeared. Some of them wondered if Jesus was finally going to overthrow the Roman government and set up His kingdom on earth.
Jesus said, “It is not for you to know times or periods that the Father has set by His own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come on you, and you will be My witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth” (Acts 1:7-8).
Jesus told them to remain in Jerusalem until they received the Father’s promise—the Holy Spirit. Those who repented of their sins and trusted in Jesus’ death and resurrection would be baptized by the Holy Spirit. (Acts 1:5) The Holy Spirit would give them the power to live holy lives and take the gospel to the ends of the earth. (Acts 1:8)
After Jesus told the disciples these things, Jesus was taken up into the sky—right in front of their eyes! (Acts 1:9) Suddenly two men stood on the mountain next to the disciples. “Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking up into heaven?” they asked. They said Jesus would return the same way. (Acts 1:11)
Jesus is alive in heaven, waiting to return for His people. Jesus told the disciples He was going to prepare a place for them, and when we die, we will be with the Lord. (John 14:1-3)
Jesus left earth and returned to heaven, but He did not leave us alone. Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to be with us and help us do God’s work. One day Jesus will return to make all things new and to rule as Lord over all.
Family Ministry Director
Family Starting Points
Psalm 148:1-5 (Look up Seeds of Praise “Praise the Lord” on Spotify or Apple Music to play in your car during the week)
Big Picture Question:
What is our mission? Our mission is to tell others about Jesus.
Bible Story: Jesus ascends to heaven (Acts 1:4-14)
- Jesus told his friends to wait in the city for the Holy Spirit
- The Holy Spirit would give Jesus’ friends the power to tell people about Him.
- Jesus went up to heaven in a cloud.
Family Discussion Starters:
- How does the Holy Spirit help us do the mission Jesus gave us?
- Revisit the ideas you talked about last week regarding how your family can pray, give, and go for the Great Commission.
- Look at maps. Identify your town, your state, your nation, and other nations in the world.
- Find a grassy spot to lay outside. Look up at the clouds and talk about the cloud shapes. Imagine watching Jesus return to earth on a cloud.
“A Song of Thanksgiving” (Isaiah 12)