Parents' Corner | August 4, 2019
The time of the judges continued after the death of Ehud. The Israelites fell into a continuous cycle of sin, bondage, deliverance, and peace. The people of Israel were oppressed by the king of Canaan. At this time, Deborah was the judge of Israel. Deborah sent for Barak and encouraged him to take up an army and fight the army of Canaan and its leader, Sisera.
Deborah reminded Barak that God would hand Sisera and his troops over to him. (Judg. 4:6-7) Barak agreed to go under one condition: that Deborah would go with him. Deborah went, but she informed Barak that he would get no glory for the battle; God was going to use a woman to defeat Sisera.
When Barak went down from Mount Tabor with 10,000 men, “The Lord threw Sisera and all his army into confusion with the sword before Barak” (Judg. 4:15). Everyone in the army died, but Sisera escaped on foot.
Sisera fled to the tent of Jael, who invited him inside and gave him a drink. While Sisera slept, Jael drove a tent peg through his temple and he died.
Judges 5 records a victory song Deborah and Barak sang on that day, praising God for defeating the Canaanites. The land had rest for 40 years.
The Israelites’ sin had resulted in 20 years of defeat. God fought for the Israelites and used Deborah, Barak, and Jael to accomplish the Israelites’ victory over Canaan. As you teach your kids this week, highlight the actions of Deborah and Barak, who willingly served God and used their gifts for His glory. God uses people and events to save us not only from our enemies, but to bring about our ultimate good: salvation through His Son, Jesus Christ.
Family Ministry Pastor
The Well Community Church
Family Starting Points
August 4, 2019
Scripture Memory: 2 Corinthians 5:17
“If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old is gone, and the new has come.”
Big Picture Question:
Whom does God use in His plan? God uses people in His plan.
Bible Story: God Judges His People (Judges 4-5)
- When Israel forgot about God, He allowed Canaan to overtake Israel.
- God used a new judge, Deborah, to deliver Israel.
- Deborah told Barak to fight Canaan. Barak and his army defeated the Canaanites. Jael defeated Sisera.
Family Discussion Starters:
- Why do you think Barak wanted Deborah to go with him?
- The Israelites forgot about God. Do you ever forget about God?
- Research how God used women in the Bible. Consider Ruth, Mary, Esther, Timothy’s mother and grandmother, and so forth.
- Go further: Learn about a care ministry to women in your area and how you can get involved.