Parents' Corner | December 15, 2019
People had been waiting a long time for Jesus. God hinted at His coming in the garden of Eden when He promised a seed to conquer the serpent. (Gen. 3:15) The prophets told of His coming hundreds of years before His birth. God was working out His plan to bring His people back to Himself.
In the Bible, God sometimes used angels to communicate His message to people. Angels spoke to Abraham in Genesis 18. The Angel of the Lord spoke to Balaam in Numbers 22. Now Mary and Joseph, the earthly parents of Jesus, each received a special visit from an angel to announce the birth of God’s promised Messiah.
The angel Gabriel’s announcement to Mary surprised her. By His grace, God chose Mary to be the mother of Jesus. The angel’s message revealed much about this promised child.
First, He would be great in both being and nature. He would be the Son of the Most High. Jesus is the Son of God, and the Lord God promised to give Him the throne of His father David. These words fulfilled the prophecy given to David in 2 Samuel 7:12-16. He would reign over the house of Jacob forever. His kingdom would have no end.
The good news that Jesus was coming into the world was good news because of why He was coming. An angel revealed Jesus’ purpose to Joseph in Matthew 1:21, “He will save His people from their sins.” The gospel is the good news of what God has done for us through Christ.
The announcement of Jesus’ birth is not the beginning of the gospel; God had been planning for this moment since before the beginning of time. (See Eph. 1:3-10.) Help your children understand that God’s plan has always been to save sinners and bring them back to Himself. Jesus, whose name means “Yahweh saves,” is the culmination of that plan.
Family Ministry Pastor
The Well Community Church
Family Starting Points
December 15, 2019
Scripture Memory: John 3:16
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.”
Big Picture Question:
Why was Jesus born? Jesus was born to rescue us.
Bible Story: Angels Spoke to Mary and Joseph (Luke 1:26-56; Matthew 1:18-24)
- An angel told Mary that God had chosen her to be the mother of God’s son.
- An angel told Joseph in a dream that Jesus would save people from sin.
Family Discussion Starters:
- How would you feel if you were Mary or Joseph?
- Mary praised God with a song. What is your favorite song for praising God?
- Discuss the true meaning of Christmas.
- Read the Bible story to your kids. Remind your kids that Mary and Joseph were real people who had lived long ago.
- Take it further: Use an advent calendar or wreath to count down to Christmas. Talk about how God’s people had waited for the Messiah.
- Jesus Was Born (Luke 2:1-20)