Parents' Corner | December 29, 2019
The wise men were magi. Their study of the stars led them to Judea to find and worship Jesus, the newborn King. Before they found Jesus, though, the wise men met King Herod. God had promised the Jewish people a new king— one who would save them from their enemies.
King Herod was not that king. Imagine how he felt when he heard about a new king in town.
The wise men asked him, “Where is He who has been born King of the Jews?” (Matt. 2:2) The wise men unintentionally challenged Herod’s reign. Not only was Herod not a full Jew, he was not a descendant of King David. Herod was deeply disturbed by the news that this child had the birthright of being king.
As Herod’s fury grew, he gathered his chief priests and scribes to determine where Jesus had been born. Then he lied to the wise men: “When you find Him, report back to me so that I too can go and worship Him” (Matt. 2:8). What deceitfulness! The truth was, Herod did not want to worship Jesus at all; he wanted to kill Him!
The wise men continued on their journey and found Jesus. Jesus may have been about two years old when the magi found Him and worshiped Him. The Bible does not say how many magi worshiped Jesus, although three are often depicted because of their three gifts—gold, frankincense, and myrrh. God warned the wise men in a dream to avoid Herod, so they returned home by another route.
The wise men came to worship Jesus as King. Jesus is the King who will rule forever, as God promised to King David in 2 Samuel 7. Help your children realize that Jesus is the true King who is worthy of all our worship.
Family Ministry Pastor
The Well Community Church
Family Starting Points
December 29, 2019
Scripture Memory: John 3:16
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.”
Big Picture Question:
Why was Jesus born? Jesus was born to rescue us.
Bible Story: Wise Men Visited Jesus (Matthew 2:1-21)
- Wise men followed a star in the sky that was a sign that Jesus had been born.
- King Herod was angry there was a new king and wanted to hurt Baby Jesus.
- The wise men gave Jesus gifts and worshiped Him.
Family Discussion Starters:
- What are some ways we can worship Jesus as a family?
- What are ways our family can focus on the true meaning of Christmas?
- Invite your family members to talk about a favorite gift they received for Christmas. Explain that God sent His Son, Jesus, to rescue us from sin. Jesus is the best Christmas gift.
- Take it further: Help your kids gather old toys in good condition and donate them to a children’s home.
More in Blog
April 8, 2021How is the Gospel?
October 6, 2020The Well Kids Monthly Newsletter: OCTOBER 2020
October 6, 2020Tuesday Tidbits for Parents: September 22, 2020