Parents' Corner | February 13, 2019
This week, kids learn that God kept His promise to give Abraham and Sarah a son, and they named him Isaac. Isaac was the child chosen by God to carry the family line—to follow God, to lead the family, and to teach the next generation to follow God too. When Abraham was well over 100 years old, God tested Abraham. God instructed him to sacrifice Isaac on a mountain. How could this be? Abraham had waited so long for this child!
But Abraham obeyed. He got up early the next day and left on his trip. Instead of waiting around to see if God would change His mind, he saddled the donkey, took the wood, two servants, and his son, and left on the journey as God commanded.
As Isaac walked with his father, he noticed something was missing. They had the wood and the fire, but “Where is the lamb?” Isaac asked. Abraham answered that God Himself would provide. Abraham had supreme faith that God was able to do anything. Before going up the mountain, Abraham told the servants, “Stay here … we’ll come back” (Gen. 22:5). Hebrews 11:19 also gives us a peek inside Abraham’s mind: “He considered God to be able even to raise someone from the dead.”
God did provide. He provided a ram in place of Isaac, who was spared. After what we might imagine was quite a worship service, Abraham and Isaac returned home.
This week, help your kids understand that in the New Testament, God brings through John the Baptist the final answer to Isaac’s inquiry, “Where is the lamb?” “Here is the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!” (John 1:29). Abraham showed his love for God by being willing to sacrifice his son Isaac. This is how God showed His love for us: He sent His Son, Jesus, to die on the cross so that we could have eternal life through Him. He was the sacrifice made in our place so we can live.
Family Ministry Director
The Well Community Church
Family Starting Points
February 10, 2019
Scripture Memory: Romans 5:8
"God demonstrates his own love for us in this while we were still sinners christ died for us. For the wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."
Big Picture Question:
What did God promise? God promised to bless His people.
Bible Story: “God’s Tested Abraham” (Genesis 22:1-19)
- God gave Abraham a son named Isaac.
- God tested Abraham by telling him to offer Isaac as a sacrifice.
- Abraham trusted God and obeyed Him.
- God provided a sheep to sacrifice instead of Isaac.
Family Discussion Starters:
- Sometimes it is hard to obey. Tell about a time when obeying was hard for you.
- Abraham showed that he loved God most of all. What are some things you are tempted to love more than God?
- Lead your child to give away a favorite possession, such as a toy. Then replace the item. Tlak about how Abraham was willing to give up Isaac, but God provided a sheep instead.
- “Isaac and Rebekah” (Genesis 24)