Parents' Corner | July 21, 2019
Joshua was “getting on in years” (Joshua 23:1), so he gathered together the people of Israel to give an exhortation.
First, Joshua reminded them that God had fought for His people, and He had kept every one of His promises. (Joshua 23:14) Joshua wanted the people to remember and to live their lives based on what they knew to be true about God: God can be trusted. He is good, and He is faithful.
In Joshua 23:6, Joshua issued a challenge: “Be very strong and continue obeying all that is written in the book of the law of Moses.” Reading, studying, and obeying God’s Word is a mark of belief in God. Joshua reminded the people that they were successful over their enemies because of their obedience to God.
Finally, Joshua gave the Israelites a warning. Just as all the good things God promised had been fulfilled, so would all the bad things He promised if the Israelites disobeyed Him. (See Joshua 23:12-13,15.)
Joshua gathered the people at the place where God had made a promise to Abraham. (See Genesis 12:6-7.) Joshua reminded the leaders of the past—from the birth of Isaac to Israel’s escape from Egypt. Joshua said, “Choose for yourselves today the one you will worship ... As for me and my family, we will worship Yahweh” (Joshua 24:15).
The Israelites had a choice: Continue to worship God or choose to serve other gods. In response to God’s faithfulness to His promises, the Israelites renewed their covenant to be faithful to the Lord.
As you share the story of Joshua’s legacy with your kids, point them to a greater legacy found in Jesus Christ. After Christ’s resurrection, He sent His disciples out to tell the nations about Him. Jesus calls all people who trust in Him to tell others about Him.
Family Ministry Pastor
The Well Community Church
Family Starting Points
July 21, 2019
Scripture Memory: Philippians 1:6
“He who began good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”
Big Picture Question:
Whom can we trust? We can trust God to take care of us.
Bible Story: Joshua’s Final Encouragement (Joshua 23:1-24:28)
- When Joshua was old, he gathered Israel together to talk with them.
- Joshua reminded the people of how good and faithful God is.
- Joshua told the people to obey and worship God.
- The Israelites said they would worship and love God.
Family Discussion Starters:
- How can we talk with someone about Jesus? What should we remember to talk about?
- What are some things we are tempted to love more than we love God?
- Review the Bible stories learned to this point. Point out examples of God’s goodness.
- Worship together as a family.
- Go further: Send an e-mail or letter of encouragement to an international missionary.
More in Blog
April 8, 2021How is the Gospel?
October 6, 2020The Well Kids Monthly Newsletter: OCTOBER 2020
October 6, 2020Tuesday Tidbits for Parents: September 22, 2020