Parents' Corner | June 2, 2019
The tabernacle was complete. God now had a place where His glory could dwell without causing the Israelites to fear death. God had given His people laws from the mountain, and He gave them more rules for living and worshiping Him when He dwelled in the tabernacle. These rules are recorded in the Book of Leviticus. The reasoning behind Leviticus can be found in Leviticus 19:2.
In Leviticus 17:11, God set apart the blood of a creature as the means for making atonement. This answers the question, “Why did Jesus have to die?” God’s requirement for the forgiveness of sins was the shedding of blood: “According to the law almost everything is purified with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness” (Heb. 9:22).
It is important to note a New Testament revelation about the sin offering. Hebrews 10:4 says, “It is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.” Then why did God require people to make sacrifices? The institution of a sacrifice was to point to something greater—the ultimate sacrifice God would make by sending His own Son, Jesus Christ, to pay for the sins of the world once and for all. (See Eph. 1:7; Rom 5:9.)
The Book of Leviticus contains many rules for the Israelite people, but we do not obey all the rules in Leviticus today because we trust Jesus, who obeyed the law perfectly for us.
Many of your kids (and maybe you too!) will not be familiar with the Book of Leviticus. Use this time as an opportunity to emphasize God’s holiness and His requirement of a blood sacrifice for the forgiveness of sins. Lead them to treasure Jesus as the perfect and final sacrifice that took away the sin of the world. (John 1:29)
Family Ministry Pastor
The Well Community Church
Family Starting Points
June 2, 2019
Scripture Memory: Psalm 128:1
“Blessed are all who fear the Lord who walk in His ways.”
Big Picture Question:
Who can keep God’s law? No one can keep God’s law except Jesus.
Bible Story: God Gave Rules for Sacrifice (Leviticus 1–27)
- God told Moses what to do when the people sinned.
- God gave His people rules for offerings and priests.
- God provided a way to forgive His people.
Family Discussion Starters:
- Why don’t we still offer sacrifices when we sin?
- What makes Jesus the “perfect sacrifice” for sin?
- What do we do when we sin today?
- Write a thank-you prayer to Jesus for being the ultimate sacrifice for sin.
- Take it further: Invite kids to think about something your family could sacrifice, such eating out, for a set time so that you can give the money you save to your church, missions, or a charitable group.
- Worship Only God (Deuteronomy 1; 3:23-4:40)
More in Blog
April 8, 2021How is the Gospel?
October 6, 2020The Well Kids Monthly Newsletter: OCTOBER 2020
October 6, 2020Tuesday Tidbits for Parents: September 22, 2020