Parents' Corner | November 24, 2019
What is the point? This doesn’t make any sense! Why am I here? What is the meaning of life? Do I have purpose? Most people wrestle with these thoughts at some point; even wise King Solomon did. Thoughts like these are recorded in the Bible—in the Book of Ecclesiastes.
God made Solomon a wise king. He ruled over Israel for over 40 years. He wrote wise sayings in the Book of Proverbs and was respected by other kings and queens. Though Solomon was considered to be “wiser than anyone else in the world” (1 Kings 4:30-31), he pondered a key question: What is the meaning of life?
The first chapter of Ecclesiastes describes the futility or vanity of life. The author declares that “everything is futile” (Eccl. 1:2) and makes observations about life: generations come and go, the sun sets and rises and sets again, the wind blows around and around, and streams flow without ceasing. (See Eccl. 1:4-7.)
But why? Apart from God, what purpose do people have? While your kids may not spend much time considering deep, philosophical thoughts, use Ecclesiastes to build a foundation that will last into adulthood. Point them to God as Creator. God created everything for His glory, and He gives everything a purpose through His Son.
Jesus said, “A thief comes only to steal and to kill and to destroy. I have come so that they may have life and have it in abundance” (John 10:10). Ultimately, purpose and hope is found in Jesus, who died for our sins and rose again. The reality of the gospel makes life worthwhile. It answers the foundational questions about life. In Jesus, we find purpose in this life and look forward to eternal life with Him.
Family Ministry Pastor
The Well Community Church
Family Starting Points
November 24, 2019
Scripture Memory: 1 John 4:14
“And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world.”
Big Picture Question:
Why can we trust God? We can trust God because He is good.
Bible Story: Solomon Thought About Life (Ecclesiastes 1:1-11)
- Solomon wrote down his thoughts about life in the Book of Ecclesiastes.
- Without God, life has no meaning.
- Only God makes us truly happy.
- God gives us purpose.
Family Discussion Starters:
- What are some things we do over and over again? Why do we do those things?
- How can you live out your purpose of giving God glory?
- Watch a sunset or a sunrise. Talk about how God makes the sun rise and set each day.
- Invite children to identify an item they were really excited to get but have grown tired of. Donate that item or give it away. Remind children that only God can make us truly happy.
- Job (Job 1-42)